Saturday, May 31, 2008

Accident

I don't suppose I can talk about a tea party (I don't even know if anyone reads this) and not tell the story of the accident or as Steve calls it "Edward Scissor Hands." I will never live it down.
Last night after a VERY stressful day at work (the state is here) I was cooking dinner. I had pulled the pork out of the oven and put it on a plate to cut. So I had the knife in one hand and I pulled the meat thermometer out (you know we will all die if we eat pork that is undercooked!!!) with my bare hand. Stupid I know... well the story is this: I touched the meat thermometer and before my brain registered I pulled my hand back, let go of the knife and heard a blood curdling scream. The kids were both at the table thankfully, so I look at Steve and there he is shaking blood all over the kitchen, ( I do mean all over!!!) When I let go of the thermomter I let go of the knife too... It just happened to land in steve's hand. Good thing I am a nurse:) He got faint... there was a lot of blood, I raced him to the sink, put it under running water, slapped some paper towels on it and ran to the phone to call my dad. In the mean time I started to clean up some of the blood and Steve was like... Hello what about my hand... so I went back to the injured and put some gauze and a bandaid on it and my dad arrived and off to the emergency room we went. Thankfully in the hall at the ED was the orthopedic surgeon I know Dr Baker. He looked at it and said it was just cut, no tendons or nerves or anything so we walked away with just a couple of stitches... I will never live this down.... Steve has gone 38 years and never a stitch...now he is scarred (literally) for life.
The only funny part of this SAGA were Kamryn and Seth. They were all strapped in at the table and as I was rushing around the kitchen like MAD Kam said "do you think I could have some dinner and dad could have a bandaid?" Then I looked at Seth and he had about 4 pieces of bread crammed in his mouth...
Never a dull moment. I do thank God though that my babies were not in the kitchen. As upset as I was about hurting Steve I would be devastated if it had hurt my babies.

Anyway, Lesson 1: Don't come near the kitchen when I had a bad day at work and am weilding a knife.

I don't have any pictures for this one either but you are probably glad about that:)

2 comments:

The Canfield Family said...

I really think that you need to do a re-run so that you can post pictures.......

Manda said...

ohmigosh...how horrible and yet very amusing (sorry steve)! you always have the craziest tales to tell!
i love what kam said!!!